Friday, May 28, 2010

Vocabulary #1: Hindi (and a little bit of Dutch)

I've been here exactly 18 days now and have been trying to maximize immersing myself in the Indian culture. One way is through learning their most prominent language: Hindi. Here are the ones I can now say I know and use:

Hindi
Namaskar/Namaste – Greeting
Danyawad – thank you
Baya – elder brother
Didi – elder sister
Chelo – go
Au – come
Bathiye – Sit down
Ha – Yes
Nahee – No
Pani – water
Khela – Banana
Khera – Cucumber
Aam – Mango
Aloo – Potato
Qila – Fort
Mandir - Temple
Purana – Old
Hooka – Shisha
Shisha – Mirror
Kyadam hai – How much?
Kam karo – lower price
Rupe – Rupees
Rupa – very beautiful girl
Kaha – Where?
Kaha jaa rahe hai – Where are you going
Aap ka name kya hai – What is your name
Mera nam __ hai – my name is __
Aaj – Today
Achaha – Good
Bahar tachaha – Very good
Tikeh – Okay

Hindi Numbers
1 - Eak 
2 - Do
3 - Teen 
4 - Char
5 - Panch 
6 - Chay
7 - Saat 
8 - Aath
9 - Nau 
10 - Das 

And some Dutch from my good friend (Daan) who always laughs at my pronunciation!

Dutch
Tot straks – a bientot/see you later
Dank yu vel – thank you

No comments:

Post a Comment